- 15 g/ ½ oz. dried· porcini mushrooms
- 125 g/4 oz. chestnut/cremini mushrooms
- 175 g/6 oz. assorted wild mushrooms
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red chili. deseeded and chopped
- 125 g/4 oz. potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 900 ml/1 ½ pints/3 ¾ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp. single/light cream
- 2 medium/large egg yolks
- warm Italian bread, to serve
Soak the dried mushrooms. in enough warm water to cover, for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve the soaking liquor. Chop the drained soaked mushrooms. Wipe the chestnut/cremini mushrooms and trim the tops of the stalks. Chop the stalks and both the wild and chestnut mushrooms and reserve.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan. add the onion, garlic, chili and potatoes and fry for 5 minutes. stirring. or until well covered in the oil. Add the remaining oil if all the oil in the pan has been used, then add all the mushrooms and stalks and fry for a further 2 minutes.
Pour in the stock together with the soaking liquor and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid. reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. or until the mushrooms are tender. Cool slightly. then place in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the cleaned saucepan and add the remaining stock and the seasoning to taste.
Beat the cream and egg yolks together and stir slowly into the soup. Place over a gentle heat and cook. stirring. Bring to the boil. then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. When slightly thickened. serve with warm Italian bread.