These Venezuelan chocolate pancakes are so cute and delicious! Quick and easy to prepare and really chocolatey! So, if you are a chocolate lover this dessert is ideal for you! Surprise your family or friends with these unique pancakes that taste amazing! It will take you 5 minutes to prepare them plus around 15 minutes to cook.
Serving: 4 – 6
For the pancakes:
- 1 ounce unsweetened Venezuelan 100% dark chocolate (grated)
- 1 1/3 cups spelt or buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup (plus 1 tablespoon) brown or light muscovado sugar
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup (plus 3 tablespoons) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- Melted unsalted butter, as needed
For the syrup:
- Scant 1 cup pure maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 3 1/2 ounces’ dark chocolate (no more than 70% cocoa), chopped
- In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients for the pancakes (apart from the butter) process until a thick and smooth batter is formed. Set aside.
- Now, make the syrup. In a saucepan over low heat, add 2 tablespoons water and the salt and stir to dissolve. Then, apply the maple syrup and bring to a simmer. In a heatproof bowl, pour the maple syrup, water and salt mixture over the chocolate and whisk until well incorporated.
- Next, using a butter grease nonstick large frying pan or crêpe pan and heat until quite hot. Spoon ¼ cup rations of the mixture into the griddle (space them apart).
- Cook over until you see bubbles on the pancake’s surface, then carefully turn over; cook for additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Apply the pancakes on a serving dish; cover with foil until you have cooked the full batch.
- Before serving, generously pour the warm syrup over the pancakes so they can soak up a lot.
Enjoy! Buen Provecho!