Maria Luisa cake (Torta Maria Luisa) is a popular Salvadoran and Colombian dessert. It’s a type of layer cake, like the English Victoria sponge cake. Easy, quick, and delicious sponge cake ideal with tea or coffee. Try it:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 ½ cup berry marmalade
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
To make the sponge cake:
- Apply an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Next, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Butter and flour the bottom and sides of two nonstick round baking pans. Leave aside.
- In a bowl, mix the baking powder, flour, and lime zest to combine. Then, apply the orange juice, sugar, eggs, and butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat at low speed for one minute. After that, increase the speed to medium and whisk for around 2 minutes; use a spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Split the batter between the prepared baking pans. Place in the oven and bake until golden or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes come out clean, around 30-35 minutes.
- Remove, cool the pans on a rack for 15 minutes. Then, turn the cakes out onto a rack and let them cool completely around 50 minutes.
- Arrange one cake layer on a cake stand. With a spatula spread the berry marmalade (of your choice) over the cake.
- Apply the other cake layer on top then decorate with confectioners’ sugar. Slice and serve.