Today, there are many varieties of the classic cheesecake recipe, however, the basic one is always the best one – and you know it if you are a real cheesecake fan, just like me! Simply delicious! It will take you 15 minutes to prepare it plus several hours to set. Here is the traditional cheesecake recipe:
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 2 pounds’ cream cheese (like Philadelphia) or ricotta, softened
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon extract
- Berries of your choice (if desired)
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven, then preheat to 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3.
To make the crust:
- In a saucepan over a low heat or in a heatproof dish in a microwave, melt the butter and brush a 9-in. springform pan with some of it.
- Combine the remaining butter along with the sugar, salt, and crumbs. Press the mixture evenly into the pan to make a crust.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Wrap the pan with foil and place it in a roasting pan.
To make the filling:
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, then add the granulated sugar and whisk just until fluffy.
- Slowly add in the sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and orange zest. (remember: do not over whip).
- Pour the cheese mixture into the cooled crust.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, then slowly put the roasting pan in the oven (do not pull the rack out of the oven).
- Add in enough warm water to come around halfway up the side of the springform pan bake around 70 minutes (the outside of the cheesecake will set and the center will be loose).
To make the topping:
- Stir together the powdered sugar, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Spread over the top of the cheesecake, then return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- After that, turn off the oven and cook the cheesecake in the oven, on residual heat, for around 60 minutes (this process gentle finish minimizes dreaded crack in the cheesecake).
- Remove cheesecake to a rack, then run a knife around the edges; cool to room temperature.
- Next, cover the cake and place in the fridge to set, at least 7 hours (or ideally overnight).
- Remove the cheesecake from the fridge at room temperature half an hour before serving. Then, remove the springform ring.
- Slice the cake with a wet knife (dipped in warm water). Serve with some berries, if desired.