If you need a quick and easy dessert that doesn’t require many ingredients, then this banana cream cake is ideal for you! The cake is so simple and tasty, and it is a perfect way to involve your children in the kitchen to prepare it for you. Enjoy a quality family time! Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 standard package yellow cake mix
- 4 ounces (1 package) instant banana or vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
For the frosting:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, ripen (cut into pieces)
To garnish (optional):
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- A dollop of frosting or whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 15 by 10 by 1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix, cake mix, eggs, and milk. Using an electric mixer, on low speed, beat for 30 seconds; then mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pans. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or just until a tester inserted in the centers comes out clean. Allow cooling for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool entirely. Gently peel off the parchment paper.
- While cooling, prepare the frosting.
- In a small saucepan, add flour and milk. Place over a medium-high heat and stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove, cover and cool to room temperature.
- Next, using an electric mixer, cream the sugar, butter, and shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla mixture. Apply milk mixture. Combine. Add the banana pieces and beat on high for about 10 minutes or until fluffy.
- Apply 1 cake on a large cutting board and spread top with frosting. Finish with remaining cake and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Slice and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.