- 175 g/6 oz./ 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion. peeled and finely, chopped
- 4 slices Parma ham/prosciutto, chopped
- 100 g/3.5 oz./half a cup Arborio/risotto rice
- 1 liters/2 pints’ chicken stock
- 350 g/12 oz. frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium/large egg
- 125 g/4 oz. self-rising flour
- 175 g/6 oz. mashed potato
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Heat 25 g/1 oz./2 tbsp. of the butter and the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onion for 4-5 minutes until softened. then add the Parma ham/prosciutto and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the rice. the stock and the peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 10—15 minutes until the rice is tender.
Beat the egg and 125 g/4 oz./ ½ cup (1 stick) of the butter until smooth. then beat in the flour. a pinch salt and the potato. Work the ingredients together to form a soft. pliable dough. adding a little more flour if necessary. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle 1 cm/ ½ inch thick and cut into 12 thin. long sticks. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Place the sticks on a lightly oiled baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. or until golden.
When the rice is cooked. stir the remaining butter and the Parmesan into the soup and sprinkle the chopped parsley over the top. Serve immediately with the warm potato sticks.