If you like the taste of pineapple and coconut – just like I do – then this quick Piña Colada cake is perfect for you! Very easy to prepare and delicious! Here is the recipe:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 container whipped white frosting
- To garnish: ¼ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180 C/ Gas Mark 4 (325°F/ 160°C/ Gas Mark 3, for nonstick pans). Grease and flour sides and bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or bottom just one of 13×9-inch pan.
- In a mixer bowl, on low speed, whisk cake mix, eggs, oil, water, pineapple, and one teaspoon of the rum extract around 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally (don’t overbeat). Apply into the pan(s).
- Place in the oven and bake as described on the package. For rounds, cool around 10 minutes. Next, run a knife around sides of pan(s) to loosen cakes; take out from the pan(s) to cooling rack. Leave to cool completely, around 1 hour (cool 13×9 in the pan).
- Then, stir remaining 1 tsp. rum into frosting. On a serving plate, apply one cake layer. Spread with 1/3 cup white frosting. Next, top with 2nd layer, rounded side up. With remaining frosting, frost side and top of cake; sprinkle with some toasted coconut. If you are using 13×9 pan, frost top of cake with frosting; and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve, or store loosely covered.