The best vegan chocolate cake experience! So moist and extra chocolatey! If you are having friends over for the weekend, this cake is the best choice because everyone can eat it – gluten-free, dairy-free and absolutely vegan – but still rich and yummy! It will take you around 50 minutes to make it. Try it:
For the chocolate cake:
- 320 grams’ gluten-free plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 320 grams’ dairy-free margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 320 grams’ golden caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 220 grams’ organic soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 85 grams’ cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons rice milk
- dairy-free dark chocolate (70%), to serve
For the chocolate frosting:
- 230 grams’ confectioners’ sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 120 grams’ dairy-free margarine
- 3 tablespoons organic soy yogurt
For garnishing (optional):
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC/Gas Mark 5. Use margarine to grease two (20 cm) springform cake tins, then line the bottom with baking paper, grease with margarine again and dust the sides with gluten-free flour.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed beat the sugar and margarine for about 5 minutes, or just until light and fluffy. Apply the yogurt and vanilla extract, then mix until incorporated.
- In another bowl, stiff the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and xanthan gum then fold through. Pour the milk and combine briefly until you get a nice, smooth batter.
- Gently split the batter between the prepared cake tins. Apply on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 17 to 21 minutes, or until an inserted tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, stiff the cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar, then place the margarine and whisk with an electric mixer until smooth. Fold in the soy yogurt and mix briefly to combine.
- When cooled, arrange one of the sponges on a cake stand or plate. Spread half the frosting on top. Sandwich the 2nd sponge on top; press down lightly and then spread the remaining frosting over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with berries or chocolate shavings (if desired). Slice and serve.