This is an old-fashioned hot milk cake recipe that our grandmas and mums used to make. It is a very simple cake, but really moist, milky, and delicious. You will need only 30 minutes to make it and enjoy it!
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- To garnish: powdered sugar/dollop of whipped cream/berries/caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Use a cooking spray to coat a 9×13-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder, gradually whisk into egg mixture.
- Next, in a small saucepan, heat butter and milk over low heat, until melted. Gradually apply to the mixture, beating until combined. Fold in vanilla. Add mixture to baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake 30-35 minutes, or until tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Allow cooling completely.
- To garnish, sprinkle powdered sugar, or add a dollop of whipped cream, or caramel sauce, and top with a few berries (if desired).