- 125 g/4 oz./generous ¾ cup broad/fava beans
- 125 g/4 oz. broccoli. cut into tiny florets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion. peeled and sliced
- 2-3 smoked garlic cloves. peeled and chopped (if not available.
- use ordinary garlic)
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 225 g/8 oz. dried fusilli pasta
- 600 ml/1 pints/2 ½ cups prepared white sauce
- 100 g/3 ½ oz./scant ½ cup ricotta cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g/4 oz./1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil. to garnish
- salad, to serve
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. 10 minutes before cooking. Cook the broad/fava beans and broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain. then refresh in cold water to stop the cooking process. Reserve.
Heat the oil in a frying pan. add the onion. garlic and pepper and fry for 5-8 minutes until softened. Stir in the broad beans and broccoli and keep warm.
Bring a large saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain and return to the saucepan. Add the vegetables together with the prepared white sauce. the ricotta and seasoning to taste. Stir lightly together. then spoon into a large, ovenproof dish.
Cut the mozzarella cheese into small pieces and dot over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown. Garnish with basil and serve with salad.