This deep chocolate cake is ideal for those who suffer from food allergy because it’s a gluten-free and dairy-free. Wonderful treat for a party! You will need around 50 minutes to get this amazingly delicious chocolate cake. Try the recipe:
For the cake:
- 310 grams’ caster sugar
- 310 g gluten-free self-rising flour
- 470 ml rice milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 120 grams’ cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- A pinch of salt
- 170 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 230 grams’ dairy-free sunflower spread
- 220 grams icing sugar
- 60 grams’ cocoa powder
- 100 grams 70% dark chocolate (dairy-free)
To decorate (optional):
- Fresh berries or dairy-free chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/200°C fan/Gas Mark 7. Next, line the base of 2 cake tins (20 cm each) with baking paper, then use an oil to lightly grease the paper and tins.
- In a bowl, mix together the cider vinegar and rice milk; set aside. It may separate but don’t worry. (You are using this buttermilk to activate the raising agents and provide your cake a light texture.)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and sift in the cocoa powder and flour. Next, put the baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, and a pinch of salt. Combine together until well incorporated.
- Pour the rice milk and vinegar mixture, vanilla extract, and the oil into the dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix them together until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 prepared tins. Next, tap each tin on the work surface to remove any large air bubbles and put in the oven. Bake for around 30-35 minutes (use a sharp knife or a skewer to test– if it comes out clean, it is cooked).
- Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for 7-10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the icing.
- In a bowl, add the sunflower spread, then sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder; whisk to combine.
- Next, break the chocolate up into pieces in a microwave-safe bowl place in the microwave for 10 seconds on high or until it has just melted. Add into the icing and mix to combine.
- Spread an even layer of icing on one cooled cake then sandwich with the other cake layer. Top the cake with the rest of the chocolate icing. Decorate with berries or dairy-free chocolate buttons (if desired). Slice and serve.