For the tomato sauce:
- 125 ml/4 fl oz./ ½ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves. peeled and finely chopped
- 4 shallots. peeled and finely chopped
- 400 g/14 oz./2 cups canned chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp. basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the fish:
- 700 g/1 ½ lb. red mullet. bass or haddock fillets
- 450 g/1 lb. live mussels
- 4 squid
- 8 large, raw prawns/shrimp
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. dry white wine
- 3 tbsp. freshly chopped basil leaves
- lemon wedges, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, 10 minutes before cooking. Heat the olive oil and gently fry the garlic and shallots for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. breaking the tomatoes down with a wooden spoon. Add the parsley and basil. season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes. Reserve and keep warm.
Lightly rinse the fish fillets and cut into four portions. Scrub the mussels thoroughly, removing the beard and any barnacles from the shells. Discard any mussels that are open. Clean the squid and cut into rings. Peel the prawns/shrimp and remove the thin black intestinal vein that runs down the back.
Cut four large pieces of foil, then place them on a large baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Place one fish portion in the center of each piece of foil. Close the foil to form parcels and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. then remove.
Carefully open up the parcels and add the mussels. squid and prawns. Pour in the wine and spoon over a little of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the basil leaves and return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. or until cooked thoroughly. Discard any unopened mussels. then garnish with lemon wedges and serve with the extra tomato sauce.