Popular in Italy, extremely delicious and rich, this chocolate pastry cream is a base for many desserts across the world. Thick, creamy and chocolatey, you can use this recipe to frost and decorate all your favorite desserts. Try it!
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg (+ 2 large egg yolks)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, mix together milk and cocoa. Heat over medium-low heat, just till you see some bubbles at edges, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg and yolks along with the sugar (3-4 minutes). Next, reduce the speed to low, and put four and vanilla extract. Beat again just to combine.
- Then, pour in the warm milk mixture. Whisk one minute more on high speed and put the cream in the saucepan again; heat. Cook over medium, whisking constantly to thicken the mixture (around 2-3 minutes).
- Remove and pour warm cream into a bowl. Put a piece of plastic wrap straight onto the surface of the cream. Refrigerate to chill for 2 hours before serving.