These beautiful little chocolate carrot muffins are ideal for the spring-summer season! Rich, moist, and very chocolatey with a strawberry on top, these muffins are a real refreshment on the table. It will take you just 25 minutes to prepare them plus around 20 minutes to cook.
For the muffins:
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and clean)
- 21 chocolate cream sandwich cookies
For the frosting:
- 1 package chocolate frosting
For the carrots:
- 25 strawberries, washed and dried
- 2 ½ teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 lb. bag orange candy melts
- Fresh mint to make the sprouts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Use liners to line 2 standard size muffin pans; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, process the carrot until blended; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and cake mix together until a thick dough forms. Apply the milk, yogurt, blended carrot, and mix until incorporated. Put the eggs and mix on medium speed for one minute.
- Fill the liners (around 3/4 of the way full). Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or just until the tops of the muffins spring back. Let the muffins to cool a little bit in the pans for around 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack in order to cool completely.
- In the meantime, crush the sandwich cookies and discard the cream; set aside. Apply them in blender or food processor and process into fine crumbs.
- In a saucepan, over a low heat, melt the coconut oil. Next, put the candy melts. Stir until combined. Remove and dip the strawberries in; swirl in order to remove any excess chocolate. Apply on a piece of wax or parchment paper.
- Next, fill a plastic zip bag or piping bag with the remaining melted chocolate; drizzle over the strawberries. Allow the strawberries to set.
- In the meantime, remove ¼ size hole in the middle of the muffins, around 3/4-inch deep (or simply use a muffin corer). Using a butter knife or offset spatula, ice around the hole and finish by sprinkling cookie crumbs on top. Apply a strawberry “carrot” in the middle of each muffins.
- Decorate with mint sprigs for sprouts (if wanted). Serve.