This creamy chocolate and strawberry pie is so silky and delicious! It can be an amazing treat for this season of strawberries. Surprise your family or friends this weekend with this creamy chocolatey pie. Here is the recipe:
For the crust:
- ¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 7 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (around 30 cookies)
- 1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-pint strawberries (trimmed and halved)
- vegetable oil spray
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon bourbon
- Lightly spray a 9-in. pie pan with vegetable spray. Apply the chopped chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and place in the microwave (30 seconds on high) or until just melted and smooth.
- In a blender, finely grind the cookies. Place chocolate mixture and blend until evenly moistened. Next, press crumb mix into the pie pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm.
- Apply strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the crust. Now, make the filling.
- In a saucepan, add cornstarch, sugar, spices, cocoa powder, and salt and combine. Heat on a medium heat. Add in egg yolks and stir constantly to create a thick Gradually whisk in milk, and increase the heat to medium-high, stirring until mix thickens and boils one minute; then, remove.
- Apply chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Next, pour in vanilla and bourbon.
- Cool 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread filling over strawberries. Refrigerate at least 3 hours to set.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and/or strawberries (if desired). Slice and serve.