These cannelloni with Bolognese sauce are so easy to prepare and delicious! You will need around 45 minutes to make this amazing lunch and surprise your family or guests with a great Italian dish. Here is the recipe:
- 12 dried cannelloni tubes
- 300 ml/1/2 pints/1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 75 grams/3 oz./3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Crisp green salad to serve (optional)
For the Bolognese filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 500 grams/1 lb. 1 oz. minced/ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chili flakes (if you like it spicy) – optional
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano
- 400 grams/14 oz./2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 150 ml/1/4 pints/ 2/3 cup red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, 15 minutes before cooking the stuffed cannelloni.
- To make the Bolognese sauce, heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 8 minutes, or until soft. Add the minced/ground beef and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up lumps, for 5-8 minutes until the meat is browned. Stir in the chili flakes (if using), fennel seeds, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato paste and pour in the wine. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover and lower the heat, then simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Allow cooling
- With a teaspoon fill the cannelloni tubes with the meat filling. Lay the stuffed cannelloni side by side in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish.
- Mix the heavy cream with three-quarters of the Parmesan cheese and the nutmeg. Pour over the cannelloni and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for around 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately with a green salad (if desired).