- 450 g/1 lb. angel hair pasta. fresh or dried
For the crab sauce:
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-hot red chili. deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions/scallions. trimmed and thinly sliced
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 300 g/11 oz. white and brown crab meat
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup double/heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
To make the sauce. trim the fennel bulb and cut off and reserve the feathery fronds for the garnish. Discard the outer leaves. cut into quarters and slice thinly into thin sticks.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. add the fennel. chili and green pepper and fry gently for 5 minutes. stirring frequently. Stir in the spring onions/scallions. then pour in the wine. Bring to the boil. reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the crab meat and simmer for further 2-3 minutes. Slowly stir in the cream. add seasoning to taste and keep warm.
Meanwhile. bring a large saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente: 3-4 minutes for fresh and 6-8 minutes for dried. Drain. reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
Return the pasta to the saucepan together with the pasta cooking water and the crab sauce. Stir lightly, then serve sprinkled with the parsley.